March 17, 2013

Lesson 67: Climbing Croagh Patrick Pregnant

When I was 3 and a half months pregnant with Samara, my husband made me climb Croagh Patrick in Westport, Ireland.



I was not thrilled.

Tradition has it that St. Patrick spent forty days and forty nights fasting and praying on top of this mountain. Sound familiar?

Apparently, at the end of his fast, St. Patrick succeeded in ridding Ireland of snakes. Thank you, Paddy!

Every year pilgrims climb this mountain barefoot, and sometimes on their knees.

I climbed it while wearing shoes ... very, very slowly.

Coming down was even slower. Those rocks were dangerous!

The view from the top was pretty amazing. Man, Ireland is beautiful.

I sure love this country.

And miss it.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Lesson Learned:  I will always be an Irish girl at heart.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...