April 23, 2013

Lesson 71: A New Year, A New Garden

A year ago, I discussed the humble beginnings of Mark and I's gardening career. Our plot looked like this. Well, at least at the beginning of the summer, it did. By the end of the summer, we had burnt everything accept the mint and rosemary.


See, our mint is still killin' it. Awesome.

We never use mint.

Before the herbs were scorched, I'd say we got our money's worth of spicing from them.

So, this year ... we are moving on to bigger and better things.

Of course, when I say we, I mean Mark. My role in this year's gardening adventure has been minimal at best.

Through a series of gardening conversations at seminary, Mark has gotten some exciting ideas planted in his brain. (Did you see what I did there with the verb "planted"?) Turns out future pastors love to garden. Let's hope they have lots of furtile soil to sow in, am I right?

Here's what Mark is attempting this summer.

It's a raised garden. He found the cinder blocks and wooden poles around our property (which I realize is kind of strange) and bought top soil, the wire, and plants from Lowe's.

Please don't judge his store bought plants. He is a full-time student and pastoral intern and dad and husband! This man does not have time for seeds. Maybe next year?

He laid old baby sheets before pouring the soil to protect from weeds and has been watering a whole lot. He is expecting to begin harvesting mid-June, I believe. Harvesting is the proper term, right?

Look at that face. That's a face of optimism. He really believes that this concrete jungle, I mean garden, is going to yield a watermelon. One whole watermelon.

Hey, I'm all for it. Minimal work on my part. A little lost money if it flops. Fresh fruits and veggies if it succeeds.

Win / Slight Loss / Win.

Go for it, Mark!

If something grows, I'll be sure to post a picture. If nothing grows, let's all agree to pretend like this post never happened.

You got that?

Lesson Learned: Turns out we haven't learned out gardening lesson quite yet, and we are (Mark is) at it again. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again?






1 comment:

  1. i love your new garden. i also really love the materials you used. we don't do a raised garden and one reason is that i don't want to have to pay for materials -- it'd negate the savings from growing fresh produce! but yours are awesome -- upcycled!!
    and who would judge you for buying plants?? your garden will do great, all they need is sunshine and water water water.

    ps. i also love your spam :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...