August 07, 2014

Lesson 194: A "Fancy Nancy" Birthday Party

Bon Jour! (That's french for hello.)

Don't you just love words spoken in french. French is so fancy!

And last week, in order to celebrate our sweet Samara's 5th birthday, our house became extremely fancy. (Extremely is a fancy word for very.)

If you are unfamiliar with the stories of Fancy Nancy, Nancy is a little girl who just loves to be fancy! She sips her tea daintily with her pinkie up in the air, she walks on her tip toes, and she dresses in the most fancy ensembles. (Ensembles is a fancy word for clothes.)

Nancy loves to use fancy words. At her parties, she dines on refreshments. (Refreshments is a fancy word for snacks.) She serves her parties alfresco. (Alfresco is fancy for outside.) Nancy does not get tired, she becomes exhausted. She is never happy, but is sometimes ecstatic.

Nancy is hilarious!

Throughout the Nancy series of books, you come to find out that Nancy is a very fascinating person. (Fascinating is a fancy word for interesting.) She enjoys art, exploring nature, and trying new cuisines. (Cuisine is a fancy word for food.)

She makes mistakes, but learns from them. She struggles with friends and with disappointment, but she grows and matures.

She also has young looking parents, which Mark pointed out is a novelty in children's literature. 

All in all, we are fans of Nancy in this household. And so, we brought in year number five in a very fancy fashion.

You might even say it was posh. (Posh is a fancy word for fancy.)

A Fancy Feast: 

Our refreshments were meant to be served alfresco, but the day brought rain.

Oh bother!

The tea menu included: fresh fruit rainbow skewers, mini-cracker pizzas, nutella and peanut butter sandwiches, blueberries, and pink lemonade with strawberries and blueberries.

For dessert, we enjoyed parfaits. (That's a fancy word for ice cream sundaes). Ice cream flavors included vanilla and raspberry. Toppings included crushed graham crackers, bananas, pink sprinkles, and whipped cream!

Samara's table was especially fancy! The table cloth was a vintage sheet of my grandmother's. (Vintage is a fancy word for old.) The blue china tea set belonged to Mark's Mimi. It was very fragile. (Fragile is a fancy word for breakable.) The flowers were cut from my neighbor's incredible garden.







A Fancy Craft:

I picked these little kits up at Marshall's. They are Melissa and Doug sticker sets "Jewelry and Nails Glitter."

Easiest fancy craft ever!


A Fancy Guide:

In the story, Nancy teaches her parents how to be fancy. This little sign helped our guests learn the ropes as well!


Fancy Favors:

We played a game where I read the original Fancy Nancy story. Each little girl held a wrapped present in her hand. Every time I said the word fancy, they passed their present to the right. At the end of the story, they got to open the gift and keep it.

I found these box sets at Marshall's and so, each girl at Samara's party got to take home a Fancy Nancy story as their favor. 

Also, I don't know about you, but I am terrible with thank you notes from children's birthday parties. So, I had Samara write these before the party. I know it's not perfect, but y'all ... we are moving, starting a new job, and I'm having a baby. Give me a break, ok?!?!

Merci is french for thank you. Everything's fancier in french!



Fancy Fun:

We had plenty of tutus, shoes, and accessories, so the girls were able to get dolled up all fancy.


In the end, the party was great!

I will say, all the activities went way faster than I anticipated, but I think that's how it always goes. The girls ended up making a huge mess up in Samara's room and according to Samara, had "a wonderful time."

When I asked her what her favorite part of the party was, she replied, "when we played in my bedroom."

So much for bone china and fruit skewers!

My favorite part? Watching my sweet little girl enjoy being a little girl!

I love you, Samara.

And according to Nancy, there is no fancier way to say it.


Lesson Learned: Fancy is fabulous!


*Linked up at Living Well, Spending Less


3 comments:

  1. I came over from Ivy and Elephant's "What's It Wednesday" to read about your Fancy Nancy party, which I just love. I have a granddaughter who will be ready for a party like this in a few years (she just turned 3), so I'm going to pin this for ideas. I also read about you and your husband's ministry and your impending move to S.C.. You are doing a wonderful service. God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely party ideas and preparations!! A blasting party for sure! Anyway, I am going to attend such amazing San Francisco venues with my family. We would love to stay in San Francisco for three days and celebrate our son’s birthday over there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...