January 16, 2013

Lesson 61: Guest Preference Card

Do you want to go where everybody knows your name? And you're always glad you came.

Of course you do. It is good to be recognized, known, and considered. I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I hear of consistent customers giving their Starbucks baristas Christmas presents. Why the gift? Most likely these coffee servers pay attention to regulars' orders and go out of their way to remember preferences.

What a refreshing thing Jesus says in John, "My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." Part of the hope for Christian's is that Christ has specially prepared a place for us in his Father's house, that we may remain with him. I cannot even imagine how amazing Jesus' hospitality will be.

With hospitality and consideration on our minds, we also recognize that it is good to know and care for others. As a host and a friend, it is wonderful to be able to serve guests, but how much better to do so in a way that specifically pleases them. How cool to already know your company's drink order, favorite ice cream flavor, or salad dressing preference?

I'm not talking about creepily stalking people before they show up to your house. I mean paying attention the first time they come and preparing things specially the next time they return. 

My friend's mom apparently keeps an index card in her recipe box with a list of her friends and their drink/food preferences. So for example, Katherine: Cold water. Two ice cubes. Lemon if available. 

I can envision this saving time and confusion when setting the table. Similarly, what a simple way to make guests feel welcomed and loved!

Cheers!

Lesson Learned: A little note taking can go a long way.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...