September 25, 2013

Lesson 103: House Highlight 5 (A Simply Decorated Fireplace)

Remember when I left you in such suspense as to how I would decorate my dining room fireplace?

(If you can't remember, click here to be reminded.)

Well, you no longer have to wait, because today, on this very blog post, I'm going to provide you with pictures!

Can you even believe your good luck?

So, a few things.

First, the dining room is an awesome room on its own. It hosts the largest window in the house, which looks directly out to a huge, beautiful field and past that to a long line of tall trees. Country spectacular! The hardwoods are original and refinished perfectly. Finally, the light fixtures and trim are nice and clean.

It's also important to note that I decided our dining room would be slightly more formal than the rest of the house. You may recall my super colorful family room. Clearly that room is not formal, nor is it intended to be. However, that comfy, colorful room is not close in location to my dining room, so it can be formal without being disjointed. I merely mention this formality aspect to say that I wasn't interested in chalkboards, mason jars, or burlap as decor. I like all those things, just not in this room.

Finally, it's necessary to state that the fireplace does not need to win this room. As I said, the window wins! The fireplace is only meant to complement everything else in the room by looking pretty. 

So, without further ado, a few pics.




Sources:

Mirror: Home Goods
Lanterns: Tuesday Morning
Candles: Pottery Barn
Logs: Black Lion

Mark asked if I actually paid for the few pieces of cut wood on the stoop.

I said, "Yes, and I don't want to talk about how much I paid for them."

Husbands just do not understand paying for cut wood. 

The final item to source for you is that cool quirky thing sitting next to the one latern. This my dad brought back for Mark and I as a wedding gift from Afghanistan. It's an incense burner used in Afghan weddings. I don't really know how to tell you get one of these.

Sorry.


Formal, but simple.

Have I wet your whistle to want to see the rest of the dining room?

Well. I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait ... or just come over?!?!


Lesson Learned: I really tried to use restraint here with a limited color palette and very few items.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping in on the blog! Your mantel is great! I understand wanting simple. I'm in that phase myself. If you're still looking to add a little something, like you commented, my first thought would be a splash of color. For fall, pumpkins are a great way to sprinkle it in without overdoing it, I think. Or even just switching the white candles for green, or orange, or yellow? ...or place in some branches...or pumpkins...instead of the candles?
    And, have you seen where people are painting the inside of their fireplaces? It looks like you have the perfect situation for that! You could do chalkboard paint...or a cool stencil? or even a decal you could switch out with different things...
    Maybe I'm just rambling at this point...I hope this was SOMEwhat of a help?!?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, you have no idea how grateful I am that you took the time to see my mantel! Thank you!

      I like all these ideas.

      I do think that the main issue is the lack of color and those weird spaces of beige in the middle. This is definitely where I will concentrate my attention!

      Stay tuned for an undated version. :)

      (For readers, I commented on Holly's blog post over at Life as a Thrifter, where she has done some super fun things for fall http://lifeasathrifter.blogspot.com/2013/09/fall-mantels-from-past.html)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...